Friday, January 22, 2010

it's been too long...

Sorry folks for the delay in new posts. I've had, well, lets just say an eventful couple of months since my last post. But I'm back! Hopefully for good because cooking has proven to be a kind of "therapy" for me...it's something I can do to just get away from everything else and just be. I'm not the kind of cook I'd like to be...yet...I still get stressed when things don't turn out right, but it know that it takes time, so I'll continue to drag you all along in the process if you so wish. :)

This week I tried something I've never had before: chowder in a bread bowl. Really, why eat out of a bread bowl, I mean, what's the point? I thought I'd figure it out once I had it but...no. I think its just for looks and fun. Chowder in a bread bowl just seems so much more interesting than chowder in a plain old bowl, right? Hehe. Anyway, hubby enjoyed it and thought it was neat.



I found my bread bowl loaves at Whole Foods in Austin. I searched H-E-B Plus and couldn't find anything "carvable"... so if you go in search of some, good luck! (I wish I could say I made mine from scratch, but no..not this time!) The chowder is SOO cheesy and delicious and perfect for a cold day. The best part is that it tastes even better the next day!



Corn, Sausage and Potato Chowder
singforyoursupperblog.com

 
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups fresh corn kernels from 2 ears (or frozen)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper or cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
6-7 cranks of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups low-fat milk
1/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley


1 package fully cooked turkey sausage (about 1 pound – you can use more or less if you want)
In a deep pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Saute onions for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add potatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add corn kernels, cayenne, salt, and black pepper, and stir well. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the milk, cheddar cheese, and parsley. Turn off heat and allow chowder to cool for 5-10 minutes.

Puree soup in two batches until smooth, and return to the pot over medium-low heat. Stir in cooked sausage and warm until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of Panera Bread (it is a restaurant, in houston or san antonio and probably even austin. you would have to look it up,.) but they sell these bread bowls and they are the BEST i have ever eaten. You can get the soup in bowl in the restaurant and then you can buy them also. whenever i go, i buy several and then freeze them. they un-freeze and taste the same.........they are delicious.......Laura Bagnall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I love chowders! And bread bowls!

    ReplyDelete