Friday, September 18, 2009

zucchini what!?

Anything sweet with zucchini in it just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I've never understood exactly what zucchini could possibly contribute to bread or cookies or cake...? Now all I can say is um YUM! Since I had an extra zucchini laying around, I went in search of a recipe to use it in and I found this one. I happened to have all the other ingredients to go with it so I thought I'd get out of my comfort zone a little and try it! If you love the lemon flavor and you like a cookie that is not too sweet but has a perfect blend of flavors this is your cookie! I LOVED them!

Lemon-Zucchini Cornmeal Cookies
Martha Stuart's "Everyday Food"

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 cup confectioner's sugar

1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. packed finely grated lemon zest

1 tsp. coarse salt
1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 medium zucchini, grated on small holes of a box grater (about 1 cup)


Step 1:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Add flour and cornmeal and mix until mixture is crumbly. Add zucchini and stir until a thick dough forms.
Step 2:
Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto two parchment-lined baking sheets. bake until cookies are light golden brown at edges, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Lett cool completely on wire racks. (Makes 25 cookies)



No comments:

Post a Comment